Pride Stages Bursary 2021 – Call For Artists
Greater Manchester LGBTQ+ Arts and Culture Network is delighted to launch a new opportunity for an LGBTQ+ artist/company based in Greater Manchester to develop a new 15-minute performance to be showcased as part of four local Pride celebrations between April and September 2021.
Supported by four Network member venues (Oldham Coliseum Theatre, The Lowry, The Met Waterside Arts), the Pride Stages Bursary 2021 opportunity will include a cash grant of £1000, access to rehearsal space, and tailored development support from partner venues.
For more information about the Greater Manchester LGBTQ+ Arts and Culture Network and the Pride Stages Bursary, visit https://lgbt.foundation/news/pride-stages-bursary-launched-by-greater-manchester-lgbtq-arts-and-culture-network/406
Pride Stages Bursary: What Do You Get?
Pride Stages Bursary: What’s It For?
This Bursary supports the creation of a new 15-minute performance to be developed between March and April 2021.
The work will then be shared with a public audience at four Pride events:
- Sat 24 April 2021: Bury Pride*
- Sat 15 May 2021: Pride in Trafford*
- Sat 19 June 2021: The Pink Picnic in Salford*
- Sat 24 July 2021: Oldham Pride*
* all dates are provisional, and subject to change in light of local COVID restrictions.
We want to hear from contemporary theatre makers, performance artists, musicians, spoken word artists, dancers, circus and other live artists.
Performances should be rooted in theatre, dance, music, circus, live literature, live art or interdisciplinary performance practice. The work can include elements of other artforms such as visual art, but needs to be presented as a live performance.
Performance should speak to the experiences of LGBTQ+ communities, and the context in which it will be presented e.g. as part of a Pride event. Work should be celebratory, political or both.
Pride Stages can be outdoor or indoor performance stages, so the work will need be adaptable to both.
At this time, we anticipate that Pride Stages 2021 events will go ahead with a live, socially distanced audience.
If this situation changes, we’ll work with the artist to adhere to evolving government regulations regarding the presentation of live performance.
In the event of a Pride event being cancelled or postponed, it may be possible for the work to be filmed, live streamed or take place via an online platform supported by partners.
In order to be eligible for this commission, you must:
- be over 18 years of age
- identify as LGBTQ+
- make work in a theatre, dance, circus, live art, live literature, music or interdisciplinary practice context
- be based in Greater Manchester (e.g. Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, Manchester or Salford)
- have an idea for a new piece of work that has not previously received funding or development support.
We want to hear from a wide range of people who identify as LGBTQ+ from across Greater Manchester.
We particularly welcome applications from those currently under-represented in the industry as a result of barriers arising from social, gender, sexuality, financial, ethnic, cultural, religious, geographic or educational disadvantage or disability.
If you’d like to explore how we can support you in overcoming these barriers, please get in touch via [email protected] and we’ll happily discuss this with you in advance of your application.
Stage 1: Submit an expression of interest
- Please submit via our online form or via alternate video/audio methods (see How To Apply below)
- This is where you will tell us about yourself, your previous experience and your idea.
- Please also let us know if you have any access needs so we can provide you with any additional support you might need, both in applying and in realising your idea if your application is successful.
- Where possible we will provide brief feedback to all other applicants (subject to capacity).
Stage 2: Informal online conversations
The selected applicants will be invited to tell us more about their idea through an informal online chat with representatives from the Greater Manchester LGBTQ+ Arts and Culture Network.
Stage 3: Selection
We’ll select one artist to receive this Bursary and will give feedback to all other applicants.
- Applications open: Fri 15 January 2021
- Deadline for Expressions of Interest: Fri 29 January 2021, 5pm
- Shortlisted artists informed: Thu 4 February 2021
- Informal online conversations: Thu 11 February 2021
- Final decision made by: Wed 17 February 2021
How To Apply
- Please complete your Expression of Interest online form at http://bit.ly/PrideStages2021
- Please also complete our anonymous online Monitoring form at http://bit.ly/Bursary-OnlineDemographics-Form-2021
- Forms should be completed by the deadline of Fri 29 January, 5pm
- Or submit a 3-minute recording (audio or video) instead - covering the following:
- Lead contact name (first name and last name)
- Lead contact email address
- Postcode in Greater Manchester
- Company/Artist name and any links to social media handles or websites
- Please tell us about you, your practice and the work you make (around 300 words)
- Please tell us about the idea you’d like to develop through this Bursary
- Please tell us why it would be a great performance idea for a Pride event
- Please tell us what the audience will ‘see’; the concept behind the idea, who you’ll be working with, and what you might need to make it happen (around 500 words)
- Please upload your video/audio to YouTube or another video/audio sharing platform and email the link by the deadline to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Pride Stages Application: [Please Insert Your Name], including details of any passwords if links are password protected.
- Please attach up to three online links to your work (your website, video content, etc)
- Please also complete our anonymous online Monitoring form at http://bit.ly/Bursary-Online-Demographics-Form-2021
- Or you can download and complete the Word.doc / Large Print Format / Dyslexia Friendly Format for the Expression Of Interest and Monitoring forms.
- Please download Expression of Interest form at http://bit.ly/Pride-Stages-Accessible-Form-2021
- Please click here to download Monitoring form http://bit.ly/Bursary-Monitoring-Form-2021
- Both forms need to be emailed to [email protected] by the deadline Fri 29 January, 5pm with the subject line ‘Pride Stages Application: [Please Insert Your Name]
Further Questions and Access
If you have any additional questions about your eligibility, or any part of the application process, then please email [email protected] and a member of the Greater Manchester LGBTQ+ Arts and Culture Network will get back to you.
We’re keen to make this process as inclusive as possible. Please let us know if you need additional access support and we will arrange this for you.
Thanks to Arts Council England for their support with this programme.